LAS VEGAS – Amanda Lemos made a statement during his second UFC main event.
Standing facing Marina Rodriguez at UFC Fight Night 214, Lemos (13-2-1 MMA, 7-2 UFC) knew the strawweight marquee bout had big implications for a potential title in the near future. Rodriguez (16-2-2 MMA, 6-2-2 UFC) entered as the winner of her last four fights, but Lemos ended her streak with an impressive third-round standing TKO finish.
Neither fighter rushed into action in the first round. Lemos controlled the center of the cage while Rodriguez looked for openings on the outside. After trading single kicks for most of the round, Rodriguez called off a takedown in the closing seconds of a tight round.
Strikes flew more frequently early in the second, with Lemos landing a nice right hand against. Moments later, Lemos performed a takedown trip, immediately getting Rodriguez’s back. The threat of a choke submission from the back was there momentarily, but wasn’t able to fully lock her out. Lemos controlled from the top to close out the round.
In the third, Lemos dropped his hands early and knocked Rodriguez out with a punch. Noticing that his opponent was not reacting naturally, Lemos closed the distance and emptied the tank with punches until referee Jason Herzog took it away. Rodriguez never fell to the ground, but her body language as she took cover against the fence indicated she was out of her mind.
The official stoppage time was 54 seconds.
— UFC (@ufc) November 6, 2022
Entering at n° 9 of the USA TODAY Sports / MMA Junkie Strawweight RankingsLemos picked up the biggest win of his career so far and has his sights set on a shot at winning UFC gold.
“Hey Dana, I’m already here, back me up for the title fight in New York,” Lemos said in his post-fight interview.
The strawweight title is set to be defended next week at UFC 281, where Carla Esparza will look to deny former champion Zhang Weili.
The most recent results from UFC Fight Night 214 include:
- Amanda Lemos beats. Marina Rodriguez via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 0:54
- Neil Magny beats. Daniel Rodriguez via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 3, 3:33
- Shayilan Nuerdanbieke defeated. Darrick Minner via TKO (elbows) – Round 1, 1:10
- Tagir Ulanbekov defeated. Nate Maness via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:11
- Grant Dawson won. Mark Madsen via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 2:05
- Miranda Maverick defeats. Shanna Young by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Mario Bautista beats. Benito Lopez via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:54
- Polyana Viana won. Jinh Yu Frey via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:47
- Johnny Munoz beats. Liudvik Sholinian via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jake Hadley won. Carlos Candelario via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 2:39
- Tamires Vidal defeated. Ramona Pascual via TKO (flying knee) – Round 1, 3:06
For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s Event Center for UFC Fight Night 214.