Paul Pelosi released from hospital


Paul Pelosi has been released from a San Francisco hospital after recovering from surgery to repair a fractured skull and injuries to the hand and armHouse Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday.

“Paul is grateful to the 911 operator, emergency responders, trauma care team, intensive care staff and all of [Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital] medical staff for the excellent and compassionate treatment that saved her life after the violent assault in our home,” Nancy Pelosi said in a statement.

Paul Pelosi, the House Speaker’s husband, is home and resting just six days after last week’s brutal attack, according to a source familiar with the matter and confirmed by the President in his statement.

“Paul remains under the care of doctors as he continues to progress through a long process of recovery and recovery,” Nancy Pelosi said. “He is now at home surrounded by his family who are asking for privacy.”

San Francisco police entered the home at around 2:27 a.m. local time on Friday to find Pelosi struggling with a hammer with a man, who has since been identified as David DePape, according to the city’s police chief. town. Officers witnessed DePape “violently assault” Pelosi with the hammer before slamming him to the ground and arresting him.

Pelosi was taken to hospital after the attack and underwent “successful surgery to repair a fractured skull and serious injuries to his right arm and hands,” said Nancy Pelosi spokesperson Drew Hammill. in a press release Friday evening. He is expected to make a full recovery.

DePape pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to all charges against the state during his initial court appearance.

He also waived his right to a hearing within 10 days during his arraignment in a San Francisco courtroom. Judge Diane Northway has scheduled a hearing Friday in San Francisco Superior Court to set a date for the preliminary hearing and bail.

DePape, 42, has been charged with a litany of crimes, including assault, attempted murder and attempted kidnapping, following last week’s break-in at the couple’s San Francisco home, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the San Francisco District Attorney announced Monday. He was charged with one count of “attempted kidnapping of a U.S. official,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California. That charge relates to Nancy Pelosi, who DePape told police he planned to “hold hostage,” according to an also unsealed FBI affidavit on Monday.

The attempted kidnapping charge carries a maximum of 20 years in prison. He has yet to appear in federal court.

The Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday night that DePape was in the United States illegally and risk expulsion.

“U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) filed an immigration officer on Canadian national David DePape at the San Francisco County Jail on November 1 following his October 28 arrest,” it said. the Department.

This story was updated with additional developments on Thursday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *