Three Palestinians reportedly killed as heavy fighting erupts in Nablus

Three Palestinians were reportedly killed and nearly 20 others injured as heavy fighting erupted in Nablus during an Israeli raid on the Lion’s Den terror group early Tuesday morning.

Heavy gunfire could be seen and heard in videos shared on social media after a large troop convoy was seen entering the city shortly after midnight.

Explosions were still being heard at 2:45 a.m. and a spokesman for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said he was making an “urgent” attempt to intercede.

Israel Defense Forces soldiers surrounded a building in the northern West Bank town where senior members of the Lion’s Den terror group had been locked up, according to unverified reports in Hebrew and Palestinian media.

According to reports, Israeli forces fired anti-tank missiles at the building as well as small arms fire during intense firefights.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said three people were killed and 19 others injured in the fighting, including three people in critical condition.

The media named two of the victims as Hamdi Sharaf and Ali Antar.

Members of the PA security forces were apparently caught off guard by the raid and opened fire on Israeli troops, who returned fire, causing injuries, according to Palestinian reports.

Abbas’s spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeinah, said in a statement that the PA president was making “urgent contacts in order to put an end to this aggression against our people” in Nablus.

The Israeli army only confirmed that forces were operating in Nablus.

He said he would later send an update on the raid, which came a day after another member of Lion’s Den was killed in a mysterious explosion attributed to Israel.

Israeli forces waged a weeks-long campaign against Lion’s Den, a new group made up of members of various other terror factions who had come to prominence for carrying out brazen attacks on soldiers and settlers near Nablus last month. One soldier was killed in these assaults.

Palestinians shoot in the air during the funeral of Lion’s Den member Tamer al-Kilani in the West Bank city of Nablus on October 23, 2022. (JAAFAR ASHTIYEH / AFP)

Lion’s Den reportedly confirmed he was targeted on Tuesday morning and said he was returning fire to Israeli troops. He vowed to continue carrying out attacks, according to Palestinian media reports.

Israel cordoned off Nablus nearly two weeks ago and signaled it may step up action against Lion’s Den.

AFP contributed to this report.

You are a dedicated reader

That’s why we started The Times of Israel ten years ago – to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.

So now we have a request. Unlike other media, we don’t have a paywall in place. But since the journalism we do is expensive, we invite readers to whom The Times of Israel has become important to support our work by joining The Times of Israel community.

For just $6 a month, you can help support our quality journalism while benefiting from The Times of Israel WITHOUT ADVERTISINGas well as access Exclusive Content only available to members of the Times of Israel community.

David Horovitz, founding editor of The Times of Israel

Join our community

Join our community

Already a member? Log in to stop seeing this

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *