Dallas hospital shooting suspect accused girlfriend of cheating before killing 2 employees, affidavit claims

The Dallas Police Chief expressed frustration that the gunman accused of murdering two Dallas Methodist employees was allowed inside the hospital.

The violent prison parolee has been arrested twice for parole violations, the most recent in June.

Nestor Hernández, 30 years old, who is on parole from state prison for an aggravated robbery he committed in 2015. He wore an electronic ankle monitor. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice granted him permission to be with his girlfriend for the delivery of their baby on Saturday morning.

Nester Oswaldo Hernandez mugshot from June 18, 2022 (Source: Dallas Sheriff’s Office)

Dallas police have now taken over the investigation.

Methodist Hospital Chief Glen Fowler said while the state allowed Hernandez to come to the hospital, no one told the hospital.

“The police department had no warning that this individual was being watched by an ankle monitor or anything regarding his criminal history,” he said.

The deadly Saturday inside Methodist Hospital’s labor and delivery area began around 10:20 a.m. That’s when Hernandez walked into the hospital room where his girlfriend had given birth on 21st of October.

While in the bedroom with his girlfriend and newborn baby, Hernandez began acting strangely and accused his girlfriend of cheating on him, according to the documents.

The affidavit says Hernandez began searching the closet and bathroom for anyone else who might be in the room and pulled a gun from his pants.

Hernandez then hit his girlfriend in the head repeatedly with the gun and began calling and texting her family, the documents show.

The report says he then told his girlfriend “we’re both going to die today” and “anyone who walks into this room is going to die with us.”


When 45-year-old nurse Jacqueline Pokuaa came to provide services to Hernandez’s girlfriend, he stood up and shot her, according to the affidavit.

Fellow nurse Annette Flowers then looked into the room and was shot in the hallway, according to the documents.

Methodist Hospital Police Sgt. Robert Rangel was in the hallway on an unrelated matter when he heard what sounded like a gunshot from an adjoining room. He saw the second employee being shot and took cover and called for help on his radio.

Rangel then shot Hernandez in the right leg, preventing him from leaving the hospital room. He was taken into custody after a short confrontation.

Chief Garcia was open with his frustration that a violent criminal is walking around on an ankle monitor.

“It’s not about being on parole,” he said. “What this is about is a violent criminal who was wearing an ankle monitor and we think that somehow that’s a level of accountability. Because that’s not not the case.”

Hernandez was then stabilized and taken to another hospital for treatment. He is charged with capital murder.

many, including Dallas Police Chief Eddie Garciacriticized the decision to allow a criminal with a violent past like Hernandez to be released on parole.

Carrolton Police body camera footage shows Nestor Hernandez was arrested for a parole violation in June. His criminal past runs even deeper.

In 2015, Hernandez pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery. He served six years of his eight-year sentence. He was paroled with a special condition of electronic monitoring, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Yet he did not stay out of trouble.

“On March 22, he was arrested for a parole violation. Then in April, turned over to his parole officer,” Garcia said. “In June he was arrested by Carrollton police for a parole violation.”

Carrollton police, while investigating him and others for a possible drug operation, learned that Hernandez had an active warrant for an unspecified parole violation.

Hernandez was arrested and taken into the custody of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, but was released with an ankle monitor in September.

“Ankle monitors on violent criminals are useless,” Garcia said.

A growing number of Methodist Dallas employees tell FOX 4 they have raised safety concerns at the hospital. They wonder if changes at the hospital could have prevented the murders.

“We’re not necessarily saying we have all the answers to prevent harm when it’s going to happen,” Fowler said. “But we will do our best to protect our own colleagues, the patients.”

Hernandez lived in this apartment complex in \Carrollton. It is not known if he lives alone. FOX 4 knocked on his door, but no one answered. This is the same compound where he was arrested in June.

Chef Garcia thinks he’s had too many chances.

“It’s not just me, Eddie Garcia, talking loudly about responsibility. I hear that from my quarters every time I’m out there,” he said. “And so it’s incredibly frustrating. But like I’ve said so many times, we’re not going to stop. We’re going to keep doing what we’re doing. And if we’re to be the only part of the criminal system of justice that doesn’t let our community down is exactly what the Dallas Police Department is going to do.”

The Texas Department of Criminal Justice would not speak to FOX 4, but sent a statement in response to our questions saying, “There was no indication that Hernandez would act violently in a hospital and allow him to surrender. visit to his relatives in this setting would not be outside the normal course of supervision.”

FOX 4 specifically asked why they didn’t tell Methodist, but they didn’t answer that question.

On Monday, Dallas County Criminal District Attorney John Creuzot released a statement saying, “Decisions and parole conditions are not made by the Dallas County Attorney’s Office or any other county judicial officer. of Dallas, but by the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles.”

Creuzot went on to say that once a criminal case has been filed with the prosecutor’s office, his team “will work to see justice done.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *