Kevin Spacey was found not responsible on Thursday in the sexual abuse lawsuit brought against him by Anthony Rapp.
Rapp, 50, and Spacey, 63, each testified for several days during the three-week trial in which Spacey was accused of sexually assaulting Rapp when he was just 14. Both had been actors on Broadway at the time of the allegations.
“We are very grateful to the jury for seeing through these false allegations,” said Jennifer Keller, Spacey’s attorney after the verdict.
“The next step is that Mr. Spacey is going to be proven innocent of everything he’s been accused of. That there was no truth to any of the allegations,” she added. , a reference to other sexual misconduct allegations against the actor, including criminal ones. loads in England.
KEVIN SPACEY SAYS ‘JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE’ AFTER BEING FOUND NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANTHONY RAPP SEXUAL ABUSE CASE
Legal expert Neama Rahmani told Fox News Digital that the verdict in the Rapp case shouldn’t affect other sexual assault claims against Spacey “in theory.”
“Spacey might not be responsible for sexually abusing an accuser, but guilty of assaulting other people,” Rahmani explained. “But the practical reality is that victory will embolden Spacey and his defense team, and alleged victims now know that Spacey is prepared to take cases to trial if necessary, and even take the witness stand in his own defense. . “
Rahmani noted that this was not Spacey’s first win. In 2019, Massachusetts prosecutors dropped criminal charges against the actor. He had been accused of sexually assaulting an 18-year-old at a Nantucket bar in 2016, but the accuser refused to testify at trial.
However, the former US attorney told Fox News Digital that with the case in England, the fact that there are multiple victims involved gives prosecutors a “stronger” case.
“Sexual assault cases involving multiple victims are stronger for the prosecution because it’s harder for jurors to disbelieve the testimony of more than one witness,” Rahmani said. “So the UK case against Spacey with three alleged victims is the strongest case of all and the most likely to result in a conviction.”
KEVIN SPACEY PLEADS NOT GUILTY TO SEXUAL ASSAULT CHARGES IN LONDON COURT
Here’s a rundown of what Spacey has been charged with:
Kevin Spacey has been charged with sexual assault in the UK
Spacey has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent” in May by the Crown Prosecution Service in the UK.
He pleaded not guilty to charges of sexually assaulting three men while serving as artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London from 2004 to 2015.
The incidents are believed to have taken place in London between March 2005 and August 2008, and one in the west of England in April 2013.
In 2017, the Old Vic claimed 20 individual allegations of inappropriate behavior had been made against Spacey – 16 were from former staff and all were made by men, according to the BBC.
The trial is expected to begin June 6, 2023 and last three to four weeks.
Kevin Spacey was ordered to pay millions to the creators of ‘House of Cards’
In early August, Spacey and his production companies were ordered to pay Creators of “House of Cards” nearly $31 million due to losses that occurred after he was fired from the show in 2017.
An arbitrator found that Spacey engaged in “certain conduct in connection with multiple crew members during each of the five seasons he starred in and produced House of Cards,” according to a filing.
Spacey denied the allegations.
MRC claimed the company lost millions of dollars in revenue after having to halt filming, rewrite season six and include fewer episodes after Spacey was fired.
Kevin Spacey has been charged with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old boy
Spacey was accused of sexually assaulting an 18-year-old boy in 2016 at a Nantucket bar. The accuser had claimed that Spacey bought him several rounds of beer at the Club Car restaurant before the actor groped him.
The Oscar-winning actor has been charged with indecent assault and assault in connection with the alleged incident. He pleaded not guilty.
However, prosecutors dropped criminal charges after the accuser refused to testify during the trial. The accuser invoked his Fifth Amendment right in a hearing after being ordered to hand over his cellphone – which was reported missing in court by his attorney.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
Kevin Spacey was sued by a massage therapist for assault and battery, among other claims
Spacey was sued by a massage therapist who claimed the actor forced him to touch the actor’s genitals twice during an in-home session in 2016. The lawsuit included battery, assault, indeed, false imprisonment and the intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The lawsuit went to trial, but the accuser died in September 2019.
Following the massage therapist deaththe lawsuit was dismissed by his estate.
After the lawsuit was dismissed, Spacey’s attorney issued a statement: “Contrary to some reports, Mr. Spacey did not pay any money to ‘settle’ the lawsuit,” Keller told the Los Angeles Times. . “The plaintiff’s estate has simply decided to dismiss the lawsuit with prejudice, which means that it cannot be [refiled] and we accepted the dismissal.”
Kevin Spacey has been accused of inappropriate sexual behavior by more than a dozen other people, some anonymously
After Rapp made his claim that Spacey had sexually assaulted him, more than a dozen others have also come forward with similar claims, according to The Cut.
Harry Dreyfuss accused Spacey of groping him while in the same room as his father Richard Dreyfuss in 2008.
“What disgusts me about Kevin is how safe he felt,” Harry claimed in an article for Buzzfeed before adding, “He knew he could fondle me in a room with my father and that I wouldn’t say a word. He knew I wouldn’t have had the courage. And I didn’t.”
Spacey’s attorney denied the allegations at the outlet, stating, “Let’s be clear, Mr. Spacey absolutely denies the allegations.”
Others have anonymously accused Spacey of outright asking them to engage in sexual activity, and some have made further claims of groping.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Fox News Digital’s Tracy Wright and The Associated Press contributed to this report.