The accused oxford high school shooter pleaded guilty to two dozen felony charges, including murder and terrorism, in a hearing Monday morning.
According to David Williams, Oakland County Chief Assistant District Attorney, alleged gunman Ethan Crumbley was preparing to plead guilty on Monday, Oct. 24, to the 24 counts against him in connection with last year’s deadly mass shooting in high school. Four students were killed and seven people were injured when the gunman opened fire during school hours.
Crumbley appeared in court at 8:30 a.m. Monday.
This live broadcast has ended.
Here’s what you missed: Oxford high school shooter pleads guilty to 24 counts
The 16-year-old accused shooter, who was 15 at the time of the November 30, 2021 shooting, has been charged as an adult with 24 crimes, including:
A leader of terrorism causing death;
Four counts of first degree murder;
Seven counts of assault with intent to murder; and
12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
Crumbley’s attorney previously pleaded not guilty on his behalf to all 24 counts. He was denied bail and was incarcerated in the Oakland County Jail pending trial. He appeared in court once a month for a judge to review his placement in the prison, rather than a juvenile facility. The judge still decided to keep Crumbley in jail.
The alleged shooter was due to stand trial in January next year, where he was expected to “assert the defense of insanity at the time of the alleged offence”.
Crumbley faces four counts of first-degree murder in the death of a 14-year-old Hana St Juliana16 years old Tate Myre17 years Madisyn Baldwin and 17 years old Justin Shilling. Prosecutors also claim that through the mass shootings, the alleged shooter terrorized school and community members.
Legal expert Mark Chutkow said it was a groundbreaking case and would be the first time an American school shooter had been convicted of terrorism.
After: Experts Weigh in on Expected Guilty Plea of Accused Oxford High School Shooter
The accused shooter is said to have left the bathroom at Oxford High School with a 9mm handgun and fired dozens of shots. Police say more than 30 shots were fired in the shooting and three 15-round magazines were found.
The accused shooter’s parents also face criminal charges related to the fatal shooting. In addition to allegedly neglecting their son and his emotional and mental health needs, as prosecutors allege, James and Jennifer Crumbley are also accused of buying their son the handgun used in the shooting.
James and Jennifer Crumbley each face four counts of manslaughter for each student’s death in the shooting. They are due to stand trial in January next year, although their lawyers are seeking to dismiss the case against them.
The last: Parents of accused Oxford shooter ask Michigan Supreme Court to dismiss their case
To find: Full coverage of the Oxford High School shooting here
Copyright 2022 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All Rights Reserved.