On Twitter, user Saint Jacques brought the community’s attention to Overwatch 2’s SMS Protect policy, which states that all players must connect a phone number to their battle.net account to launch Overwatch 2.
blizzard won’t let people play overwatch 2 if they have… a prepaid phone plan?? pic.twitter.com/NkVOMuFGDJ
—Jack Saint (@lacingsaint) October 5, 2022
Blizzard made this news public last week, but players only started noticing this on a larger scale after the game went live yesterday. According to a Press release On the official Overwatch website, the SMS Protect feature is a solution to combat “both cheating and disruptive behavior” in Overwatch 2. Part of the release states the following:
“As of October 4, 2022, all players on all platforms, including consoles, must have a phone number attached to their battle.net account to launch Overwatch 2. The same phone number cannot be used on multiple accounts at the same time, and players cannot use the same phone number to create multiple accounts. A phone number can only be used once when creating a new account, and some types of numbers, including prepaid and VOIP numbers, cannot be used for SMS Protect.
Overwatch 2: the 35 heroes at launch
The problematic part is the last sentence, where it says that prepaid phone plans are not eligible for SMS Protect. Prepaid phone plans, from companies like Cricket Wireless, require users to pay the bill before receiving service. These plans also rarely require a contract, making them a more attractive option for people who can’t afford or don’t want to spend that much money on a contract phone plan from Verizon or T-Mobile. Unfortunately, these are the people Overwatch 2 is currently excluding due to the SMS Protect requirement.
For example, in a post on r/Overwatchone user said this phone requirement made him feel bad about having a prepaid phone plan, writing in part, “I’m really upset and weirdly ashamed that I don’t meet this ‘standard’. I don’t never thought I would be disqualified from playing Overwatch based on my ability [to] afford a phone contract, but here we are… Blizzard is the first company to make me feel too poor to play a game.”
And it’s not like Overwatch fans on prepaid phone plans can even go back to the original game, either, as Blizzard shut down Overwatch servers to prepare for the launch of the sequel this week. Instead, players who launch Overwatch will be prompted to upgrade to Overwatch 2. Blizzard made the decision to shut down Overwatch 1 in order to maintain a unified playerbase in the new game.
When IGN asked for comment, Blizzard responded by saying, “We plan to fix this very soon, potentially this afternoon.” We’ll update this story when Blizzard addresses the lack of access for users with prepaid phone plans.
That’s not the only problem Overwatch 2 faced in its launch week, as online players are also complaining about long queues. Several posts on Twitter cite queues with more than 20,000 people lining up in front of them.
This is not uncommon for massive online games during their launch window, as Final Fantasy XIV fans will undoubtedly know. Blizzard also told IGN that there will be communication later today regarding server wait times.
Tried to get into Overwatch. Waited about 30 minutes to go from 400 in queue to zero. When I got to the front it said “Searching for server”. When he found one, I was 30,000 in line.
No Overwatch for me today 🙃
— Skills (@SkillUpYT) October 5, 2022
Beyond all that, yesterday’s headlines surrounded the pair of DDoS attacks suffered by Overwatch 2 on launch day. So if you jumped into Overwatch 2 soon after launch, you likely encountered dropped games or other connection issues as Blizzard worked to fix server issues and stability.
Beneath all these issues, there is a good game somewhere in Overwatch 2. In our examwe called the sequel brilliant, saying “Overwatch 2 breathes new life into what was once the sharpest multiplayer shooter, before its edges were severely dulled by Blizzard’s attention diverted .”
Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN covering video game and entertainment news. He has over six years of gaming industry experience with signings at IGN, Nintendo Wire, Switch Player Magazine, and Lifewire. Find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.