Alec Baldwin settles lawsuit with family of cinematographer killed on ‘Rust’ set

Alec Baldwin has settled a lawsuit brought by relatives of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins who was killed on the set of his movie ‘Rust’, representatives from both sides of the civil action said Wednesday.

Hutchins, 42, was fatally shot and director Joel Souza, then 48, injured in the Oct. 21, 2021 incident in New Mexico when a live ammunition was discharged from a gun held by Baldwin, who shares screen and producer credits on the suspended film.

That of the director of photography the family filed a trial in February against Baldwin and others involved in the filmaccusing them of reckless behavior and cost-cutting measures led to the drama.

“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained a specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son,” Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas said in a statement. “We are grateful to everyone who has contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”

Financial terms of the settlement were not released on Wednesday – although Hutchins’ widower was named executive producer of ‘Rust’ which is set to resume filming in January.

“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or blaming (the producers or Mr. Baldwin),” Matthew Hutchins said in a statement.

“We all believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s latest work.”

Souza said he agreed to reprise his role as director.

“Those of us who were fortunate enough to spend time with Halyna knew that she was extremely talented, kind, creative and an incredible source of positive energy,” Souza said in a statement.

“I just wish the world had gotten to know her under different circumstances, as they surely would have through her incredible work.”

The director said he would only return to the “Rust” set with the blessing of Matthew Hutchins.

“In my own attempts at healing, any decision to return to complete the making of the film could only make sense to me if it was made with input from Matt and the Hutchins family,” according to Souza.

“While certainly bittersweet, I am happy that together we are now finishing what Halyna and I started. All of my efforts on this film will be dedicated to honoring Halyna’s legacy and making her proud. This is a privilege to see this in his name.”

However, any civil settlement would not prevent prosecutors from bringing charges against anyone who may be criminally responsible for Hutchins’ death.

Earlier this month, the State Finance Council approved a special program Budget allocation of $317,000 to the office of First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies for a possible “Rust” prosecution.

The prosecutor said her office was prepared to pursue criminal charges against up to four people, according to an Aug. 30 letter she sent to the state requesting additional funding.

A representative for the prosecutor’s office could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Baldwin has argued he ‘didn’t pull the trigger’ in the fatal shooting that rocked Hollywood and lifted concerns about weapons on movie sets.

“Well, the trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger.” he told ABC News Last year. “No, no, no, I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. Never.”

The investigation is still ongoing since the incident that happened nearly a year ago at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe County.

This is a developing story, please refresh here for updates.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *