FBI announces arrest in hoax targeting Boston Children’s Hospital

Federal agents have arrested a Western Massachusetts woman in connection with a bomb threat hoax targeting Boston Children’s Hospital, officials said Thursday. attracted a heavy police presence and forced the closure of roads in the area. Court records indicate that the caller told a hospital operator, “There’s a bomb on the way to the hospital, you better evacuate everyone, you sick people.” After an investigation, no bomb was found. Rollins said investigators identified a cellphone account belonging to Catherine. Leavy, of Westfield, who was used to make the threat. “She was arrested at her home earlier today, and the phone that was allegedly used to make the threat has been recovered,” Rollins said. Leavy is charged with making a false bomb threat over the phone and appeared in federal court in Boston for a hearing on Thursday. Rollins said Leavy will be held pending a noon detention hearing. “This alleged conduct is troubling to say the least,” Rollins said. “The bomb hoaxes cause fear, panic and a diversion of resources that have a real impact on our communities. The people who work at Children’s Hospital and the parents who bring their loved ones to Children’s Hospital are stressed enough.” Boston Children’s Hospital was also the target of a bomb threat last week, which led to an increased police presence and extra precautions at the facility. The criminal charge announced Thursday was unrelated to the most recent threat, Rollins said. The threats follow other threats of violence made against doctors and other staff over the hospital’s surgical program for transgender youth. Boston Children’s is home to America’s first transgender pediatric and adolescent health program. He became the focus of far-right social media accounts, news outlets and bloggers after he found informative videos posted by the hospital about surgical offerings for transgender patients. The hospital deleted the videos and began working with law enforcement. Critics cited the videos and snippets of previous language on the hospital’s website to claim that Boston Children’s Hospital was improperly performing gender-affirming surgeries, such as hysterectomies, on minors and ” young» children. The response was swift and relentless, with a deluge of users demanding the hospital be closed and calling the surgeries “mutilation”, “barbarism” and “child abuse”, while accusing its doctors of engage in professional misconduct or illegal activities. The hospital said it received “a large volume” of hostile online messages, harassing phone calls and emails, including threats of violence. 18 and meet certain criteria, including undergoing intensive medical and mental health evaluations and submitting letters of support.

Federal agents have arrested a Western Massachusetts woman in connection with a bomb threat hoax targeting Boston Children’s Hospital, officials said Thursday.

Massachusetts U.S. Attorney Rachael Rollins announced the arrest of a Westfield woman in connection with a anonymous bomb threat on August 30, which attracted a heavy police presence and forced the closure of roads in the area.

Court records indicate that the caller told a hospital operator, “There’s a bomb on the way to the hospital, you better evacuate everyone you sick people.”

After investigation, no bomb was found.

Rollins said investigators identified a cell phone account belonging to Catherine Leavy, of Westfield, which was used to make the threat.

“She was arrested at her home earlier today, and the phone that was allegedly used to make the threat has been recovered,” Rollins said.

Leavy is charged with making a false bomb threat over the phone and appeared in federal court in Boston for a hearing on Thursday. Rollins said Leavy will be held pending a noon detention hearing.

“This alleged conduct is troubling to say the least,” Rollins said. “The bomb hoaxes cause fear, panic and a diversion of resources that have a real impact on our communities. The people who work at Children’s Hospital and the parents who bring their loved ones to Children’s Hospital are stressed enough.”

Boston Children’s Hospital was also the target of a bomb threat last week, resulting in an increased police presence and extra precautions at the facility. The criminal charge announced Thursday was unrelated to the most recent threat, Rollins said.

The threats follow other threats of violence made against doctors and other staff over the hospital’s surgical program for transgender youth.

Boston Children’s is home to America’s first transgender pediatric and adolescent health program. He became the focus of far-right social media accounts, news outlets and bloggers after he found informative videos posted by the hospital about surgical offerings for transgender patients. The hospital deleted the videos and began working with law enforcement.

Critics cited the videos and snippets of previous language on the hospital’s website to claim that Boston Children’s Hospital was improperly performing gender-affirming surgeries, such as hysterectomies, on minors and ” young» children. The response has been swift and relentless, with a deluge of users demanding the hospital be closed and calling the practices ‘mutilation’, ‘barbarism’ and ‘child abuse’, while accusing its doctors of engage in professional misconduct or illegal activities.

The hospital said it received “a large volume” of hostile online messages, harassing phone calls and emails, including threats of violence.

The hospital later updated the wording on its websites to emphasize that to be eligible for most gender-affirming surgical procedures, patients must be at least 18 years old and meet certain criteria, including undergoing intensive medical and mental health assessments and submit letters of support.

Leave a Comment